- Make sure your doctor is a neurologist or a physiatrist (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation)
- Make sure your doctor is board certified by the American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine or by the American Board of Clinical Neurophysiology
Find an ABEM Certified Physician
American Board of Clinical Neurophysiology
- Preferably your doctor and his laboratory should be accredited by the American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine.
Find an accredited lab
- Technologists should be certified. (Certified Nerve Conduction Technologists (CNCT)
- Make sure that the equipment is standard electromyography equipment. There are several manufacturers of standard and well-accepted equipment but unfortunately there are also many gadgets that are not acceptable. This equipment should provide for real time data and waveforms on a computer and should not be set to a remote site for evaluation by a computer or other individual.
American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine